Thursday, November 14, 2013

Breast Cancer awareness month


During the month of October I tried to incorporate pink into my look at least once per week in support of breast cancer awareness. I have loved ones who are breast cancer survivors as well as loved ones who have lost the battle. The older I get, I become more conscious and educated about my personal health, so I am trying to do what I can in terms of diet and exercise in order to prevent the diseases that are considered preventable. There is not enough scientific evidence about breast cancer to label it as a preventable disease, however, an overall healthy lifestyle is recommended to reduce the risk of developing cancer of all types. Unfortunately breast cancer effects African American women at a disproportionate rate and research places the blame on our hair care products filled with synthetic additives, harsh chemicals, and other questionable ingredients. Since 2010 I have switched to an all-natural hair and skin care regimen, however, what good is natural haircare/skincare if I continue to eat foods with questionable ingredients? I generally do not purchase processed foods at the grocery store but that does not stop me from stopping at Chick-Fil-A once per week for their processed fare. All things are okay in moderation, however, moderation is far less than once per week (which is about how often I eat fast food these days). This post is not completely about health and wellness but it is definitely worth mentioning.

I only consider one of my pink outfits from the month of October to be blogworthy and I am featuring it below.

I wore a pink peplum dress to my sister's birthday party during the first weekend in October. We had drinks and appetizers at one of the finest restaurants/lounges in downtown Houston - Mister Peeples. The place was very posh, the atmosphere was perfect, and I can not wait to return!

 



 
Dress: Simply Be
Bag: @legacythedesigner on Instagram
Necklace: @bleujones on Instagram
Heels: Nine West
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment