Friday, January 3, 2014

FOTD and Too Faced Joy To The Girls Palette Review


I featured the Too Faced Joy to the Girls palette for today's look. I have used this palette twice. I will list the products used first, and the review for the limited edition holiday palette will follow.

Here is what I used:

Eyes:
Brows: MAC Pro longwear concealer in NW40 and MAC penultimate brow pencil
Mac painterly paint pot to prime lids
Transition: MAC MSF Deep Dark, Mac texture, swiss chocolate, and folie eye shadows 
Lid: Too faced Joy to the Girls palette colors - mulberry and sugar plum
Inner Corner: Too Faced Cheers
Crease: MAC Shadowy Lady and Fig 1
Outer V area of eye: Urban Decay perversion liner blended out with Too Faced coal
Under Eye - Too Faced sugar plum and yule log
Urban Decay Perversion in waterline

Face:
Elf Mineral Primer
MAC Studio Tech Foundation NW43
Mac prep and prime highlighter in bright forecast
Mac Pro longwear concealer in NW40
Ben NYE banana powder to set concealer
MAC MSF Deep Dark to set foundation
ELF Turks and Caicos as contour
MAC MSF Scene to be Scene as highlight
Rimmel shimmering bronzer in Sun Kiss applied all over to add additional warmth to skin
Mac nightmoth lip liner
Mac Smoked Purple Lipstick

 

I had to use a lot of colors on my eyelid to create the look that I desired, I will tell you why below.
 

Too Faced Joy to the Girls Review:

I did not initially plan to purchase the Too Faced Joy to the Girls palette because the online reviews were negative. Most bloggers complained that the shadows were too sheer. I also noticed that the color payoff was not as great once applied to your lid, as it is when swatched. Nonetheless, the palette was an impulse purchase for me. I went to Ulta in search of other items and saw and swatched the Too Faced palette and I knew that I would not rest if I didn't buy it. 

Here is what I love about it:
Packaging - beautiful! So aesthetically pleasing. I love mint and gold!
 
Features shades unique to my collection - the stars in this palette are the gold/ bronze shades. I did not have any shadows that were those hues and that had the color payoff that I experienced from the bronze/gold shades in this palette, so that alone sold it for me. 

Cons:
There are always cons in life!
 
Lack of Versatility - The versatility in the palette lies in the shimmer shadows. The matte shades featured in this palette are all very similar in color, thus I had to reach for my custom Mac palettes for transition colors to complete my look. There are two white shadows and a powder blue shadow that I would possibly never use. However, the Too Faced palette does feature a matte black, and a matte black shade is practically a necessity for me!
 
Fall out from shadows - I experienced tons of fall-out when applying my eye makeup. However, there are few shimmer shadows that are unaccompanied by fall-out, thus it comes with the territory.

Poor Color Pay-off - The bronze/gold/black shades were the only shades that I felt had great color-payoff when actually applied to the lid. I had better luck using the other shades with a wet brush. I also had to layer other eye shadows over the Too Faced shadows to create the desired shade. I was most excited about the purple shimmer (sugar plum) but it was so sheer that I had to use matte shadows from my collection to add depth to my look.

Packaging - Although I love the aesthetic properties of the palette, the palette was difficult to open and close and the tab used to access the shadows fell off during the second time that I used the palette, so I exchanged it.

The Bottom line:
 
Aside from the mishap with the packaging and the poor color payoff, the deal breaker for me was that this palette features four very similar pink shades, in addition to three shades that I do not use at all (powder blue and white), and there are only 15 colors in the palette. The palette features a full-size mascara as a bonus, but I was not crazy about the plastic bristles of the mascara wand.  If you are deciding on a final last minute limited edition palette before they are gone forever, I would not recommend this one as the one! Too Faced makes great products and stellar palettes, however, this was not one of my favorites from this season.



 

 

 
What palettes have you purchased lately? Please leave responses/questions/feedback below. If you have questions about my natural hair, look out for a post on the hairstyle in this picture. If you would like additional information please email me at jarfullofglam@yahoo.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment