Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Product Comparison - Bee Mine Bee Hold Curl Cream vs. Donna Marie Dream Curling Creme

I often get tons of questions about products and what I use for curl definition or how I achieve certain looks. I will try to answer those types of questions in as many posts as I can. I will start here by comparing two types of natural curl creams that I have been using this winter. Before I begin, please keep in mind that though my hair probably looks similar to yours, everyone's hair responds to products in different ways, so don't feel like you have to purchase everything that I rave about in order to achieve similar looks. These posts are to just show you what I am using to maintain my hair and to compare products that you may have considered purchasing.

Donna Marie Dream Curling Crème
 

I have purchased this product twice and I have used it for a few years, so I definitely feel comfortable doing a thorough review.
 
Description: creamy in texture, varies in color, as it is a natural product, has a nut butter smell that does not linger (key ingredients include macadamia seed oil, Shea butter, and Cupuacu butter) thick whipped gelly, cream-like consistency

Costs: $20 for 16 oz. jar

Packaging: plastic, large, round jar allows easy access to all of the product

Claims: medium hold styling product that imparts shine, moisture, definition, and elongation to curly styles. Provides effortless, frizz-free, fluffy, soft, curly styles without crunch, stiffness, or flakes. 

Recommended use: curls, twist outs, braid outs, pony puffs, coils

Key ingredients: water, aloe vera juice, glycerin, sweet almond oil, Shea butter

The truth: I agree that this product imparts shine and definition. I use this product with a moisturizer, as I do not expect to receive moisture from a styling product, so I can not vouch for moisturizing properties. I can also agree with the elongation claim because if I let my hair dry without any products, my curls are much tighter and less visible. I can also agree that I have never experienced crunch, stiffness, or flakes, and this product does not build up in my hair. 

How have I used this product: twist-n-curls, flat twist outs, braid outs, two-strand twist outs, three-strand twist outs, wash-n-go; on wet, damp, and dry hair. 

I would not recommend this product for: wash-n-go's as it does not have enough hold for my thick hair

The overview: One 16 oz jar of this product lasts a long time, as you don't need much product to create the desired results. I generally use a pea-sized amount per twist when doing twist-outs etc. the product is definitely worth the cost, at about $1.25 per ounce when calculated, and a greater value in comparison to the average curl cream, which is usually about $16 for 8 oz. At this time Donna Marie Dream Curling Creme is on my list of holy grail hair products. I recently used up this product and I plan to repurchase in the future, as soon as I use up other products.

The proof:
This was a twistout that I did during the spring of 2013. I applied DMDCC to hair that had been blown dry. 


Here I used DMDCC for a wash and go also during the spring of 2013. 



Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly Butter


I have had this product forever but I just started using it regularly in December. I am trying to use it up, as I am trying to discontinue my product hoarding ways in 2014. I have used this product several times and I am able to provide a valuable review.

Description: thick, smooth, and creamy in consistency. Appears to have the texture of a lotion, yet it is thick enough to where it does not move, even when the jar is held upside down with the top removed. The product does not have a butter-like texture or consistency. I have the island mango scent, but the product is available unscented or in a coconut cream fragrance. I love the smell of this product. It has a citrus, sweet, orange and mango smell. The smell does not linger. The fragrance does not haunt me in my sleep like the scent of other products that I use!

Costs: $14 for 8oz. jar

Packaging: plastic, large, round jar allows easy access to all of the product

Claims: Provides long lasting moisture and promotes growth 

Recommended use: twists, finger curls, pony tails, puffs, natural hair, relaxed hair, and texlaxed hair. 

Key Ingredients: Shea butter, aloe Vera gel, glycerine

The truth: This product provides a very light hold, so it is not the best product for twist outs if you have frizzier hair that needs extra hold. I would not use this product for moisture as I think of it as a styler since it has aloe Vera gel, and the product is not water-based as water is the primary ingredient that provides moisture to the hair. I would rather reserve the growth conversation for another post, but please note that the product says promotes growth not causes growth. Hair grows naturally at different rates per individual, yet there are multiple factors that determine whether you retain length from your hair growth. 

How have I used this product: twist-n-curls, flat twist outs, braid outs, three-strand twist outs, and on wet and damp hair. 

I would not recommend this product for: wash n go's, styles that require extra hold or definition
 
The overview: I currently have two jars of this product in my arsenal. I plan to at least use up the one that I have already opened and I may give the other jar to a friend. This is a great product depending on your styling preferences and your hair needs. I prefer more hold and definition in a styler and I do not consider the product a moisturizer. Because this product does not offer much hold, I am unable to get third-day hair from a style set with this product. I am fortunate to get second-day hair at times, though that is not always the case. That is the real deal-breaker for me, as I am too busy to style my hair daily and I do not think it is healthy to manipulate your hair on a daily basis. I appreciate that this product does not cause flaking, build up, stiffness, or crunchiness, and it washes away easily with water and conditioner. At this time I do not plan to repurchase this product. 

The proof:
Braid out over the weekend using Bee Mine Curly Butter applied to dry hair. My hair was super soft and the curls were stretched and my hair moved freely and appeared full. I was unable to get multiple wear out of this style as the product does not provide enough hold for me.


Three-strand twist out using Bee Mine curly butter on wet hair. My hair was soft and the curls were stretched. 


The comparison:
This is a three-strand twist out that I did last month. On the side of my hair shown on the right side of the picture I used Donna Marie for a three strand twist out. On the side of my hair pictured to the left of the center part, I used Bee Mine. I had more hold, shine, and definition on the DMDCC side. 


This pic was taken the day after the pic above was taken. I flat twisted my hair the night before. I did not apply any additional product. On the right side of the picture where the DMDCC was previously applied I have more definition, hold, and shine. On the left side of the pic, where Bee Mine was applied, I have less hold, less shine, and less definition. Side by side comparisons are a great way to compare products without having to rely on memory and other factors like weather, activity level, etc. 

 
I prefer the Donna Marie Dream Curling cream because of its styling properties - shine, hold, and definition. The DMDCC is also more cost effective, as I receive twice the amount of product offered by Bee Mine, at just $6 more, or the same amount of product offered in Bee Mine's $24 16oz. product for $4 less. I am also able to get multiple days of wear out of a single application of the Donna Marie product, where that is not possible for me with the Bee Mine product. Because of the time that it takes me to do my hair, second day hair and beyond is very important to me in selecting products.

I hope that you found this comparison helpful. I would love to hear about some of your favorite products, so feel free to leave comments below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment